Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Webinar on the Invisible Web

I participated in a one-hour webinar today on searching the Invisible Web or the Deep Web. It was my first webinar and it was prettry fun. I'm not exactly sure how to define a webinar, but it is a lesson offered via a website that you register for and log into. There were 135 participants from around the world on today's webinar. The presenters spoke to the participants and presented their materials on the computer screen. It was very interactive. Participants answered questions, displayed their feelings (like clicking on the applause sign or the confusion sign), sent text messages to the participants or presenters, spoke to the audience and wrote on the white board using the tools displayed on the web site. It was free and I found out about it from the Illinois School Library Media Association (ISLMANET) listserv. One of the sponsors was the Illinois Math and Science Academy.
The subject, the Invisible Web or the Deep Web as the presenters preferred to call it, is that part of the web that most search engines don't reach - both free and fee based web sites and databases. After this webinar, I know I really need to learn how to search the web better. Does anyone have any suggestions - a class, a Dom class, websites, tutorials?

2 comments:

Blonde Baptist said...

Learn to search the web better? Practice. That's all. As a reference librarian, I get to search the web and the databases daily - after a while, patterns for successful searches emerge ..... but remember - what works for one probably doesn't work for another. :)

EBB-Texan said...

I went to an ISLMA seminar on this two years ago (I think) done by Ken Wiseman (Wiseman Tech) and he has one of the best websites about this that offers great tools and special search engines. http://www.wisemantech.com/
He is the retired tech coordinator of District 214 and his wife teaches a class at Dominican. I also participated in the online seminar and found some goot tools to use with my students.